Disclaimer: The opinions described in this blog are mine, and in no way reflect those of the Peace Corps.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

My first trip to the latrine...

Yes, I was really going to write a story about my first trip to the latrine, but I think just mentioning that it didn't go "as planned" will do.

Everything is good, despite that exhaustion stuff.

I've started teching model school, which is basically Peace Corp's free English summer school for kids in Porto Novo, and for us to get teaching practice. It's pretty fun now that I've dont it a few times and am not sweating profusely every time I teach. I use a lot of pictures, which is fun.

Klouekanmé was cool. I met lots of my education counterparts, and some big wigs around town (whom I will apparently never see again).

I wasn't there very long, and it rained for a good portion of that time. I was lucky enough to have a few friends in Djakotomey, so I took an hour long Zem ride down a washed out road instead of a four hour drive to Porto Novo to spend the weekend doing nothing. NOTE: for those planning to visit, bring dance music on your ipod. Zem rides with MGMT qnd Rapture are AMAZING.

Sodabi: West African moonshine. Nuff said.

Still trying to figure out an effective picture uploading formula with these cyber cafes. No pics yet, c'est pas grave. Soon.

I'm picking up my first boomba today, which should be awesome. They're all the rage here, it's really elaborately and flamboyantly designed fabric that can be tailored into outfits. Mine' yellow and maroon.

ALSO: One volunteer here has Michigan State tissue (boomba). Obviously you all know what needs to happen, Erik needs four meters (both) of Oregon Ducks and Dodger fabric. Let's make this happen.

While I'm on the subject of things to perhaps send me:
TAPATIO
add water mixes (taco seasoning; yes i can, and have, made tacos here)
books: infinite jest, in search of lost time vol 2 (hopefully the modern library edition), and a copy of the koran, and whatever else.
movies!

Can't think of much else right now, I can never remember what I need/want to say when I get to the cyber, soon though.

Peace,

E

5 comments:

Juan Armenta said...

DVDs with Ducks games on there way!

Juan Armenta said...

Oops, what an illiterate lout. On their way!

Create. said...

I need to get me some of that moonshine.... haha. man i NEED to go visit you. good luck with future visits to the toilets and be well. miss you.

Create. said...

this is danny n. by the way.

Miles said...

when I get some cash soon I could definitely send you infinite jest.

and while im picking up a copy of it, if you've never read Papillon, let's read it together. I'll get you a copy.

Followers